Thursday, July 26, 2007

Au revoir

It's really difficult to believe that my time in Geneva is coming to a close. The past few months have flown by, and I'm astounded at what we've all managed to achieve. The past month has been taken up mainly with introducing a group of 25 eager and wonderfully clever young people to the UN and all its partner organisations. Seeing other people learning about this stuff has reminded me of how much I've learnt over the past year.

Apart from the four CDs worth of photos that I've taken, my colleagues gave me a coffee table book of pictures of Geneva. These pictures, which are much more artistic than mine, will allow me a trip down memory lane whenever I'm missing the place too much.

My particular passion and interest while I was working at QUNO was the Peacebuilding work being done in Africa, so it's really exciting that I'm headed there next. I'll be working and living for a month at the AVP Peace Centre in Lubao, western Kenya, assisting with the facilitation of AVP workshops. AVP - the Alternatives to Violence Project - is a workshop process that offers tools for resolving conflicts and healing past hurts. It's been adapted in Rwanda and Burundi to focus particularly on healing and rebuilding communities in countries torn apart by war. In western Kenya, where ethnic tensions are mounting, it will be interesting to be part of offering alternatives to violence.

No comments: